Home Home Home

[Who can register] [When to register] [Where to register] [Overseas Voters] [Have you moved?] [Personal information]



If you will be 18 years old by the next election day and have not previously registered;

If you have changed your residence address since the last election:

    Moved into Monterey County from another state;

    Moved into Monterey County from another county;

    Moved from one address to another address within Monterey County.

If you are a new citizen;

If you have changed your name;

If you have changed your political party affiliation.

Back to top


Monterey County Election Department, 1441 Schilling Place - North Building, Salinas CA and various locations throughout the county including libraries, post offices, city and county offices, banks, DMV, and other public buildings. Forms may be mailed or delivered. Postage is pre-paid.

Voter Registration - Online Form

Important: The voter registration form requires your original signature! Download, complete, sign, affix the postage and mail the registration form to Monterey County Elections, PO Box 4400, Salinas CA 93912.

You must be registered to vote 15 days prior to Election Day to vote in the election!

Back to top


  • A U.S. citizen;
  • A resident of California;
  • Not in prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony;
  • At least 18 years of age on the date of the election. (You may register to vote at age 17 if you will be 18 years old on or before the next election day.)
  • California election law denies the right to vote to persons who have been determined mentally incompetent.

Reminder: You must re-register when you move!


  • Party affiliation which determines party ballot in primary elections held in even numbered years; and
  • Residence address which determines the ballot style for voters who live in different areas of the county. Applicable to most elections.
  • The United States Constitution establishes the right to vote.

Back to top


IF YOU CHANGE YOUR RESIDENCE ADDRESS, PLEASE RE-REGISTER. Please be aware that Monterey County Elections cannot change permanent addresses over the phone. Election Code 2116 requires votes to fill out a voter registration card before an address change is made. This is to protect voters from being inadvertently or deliberately disenfranchised by a change in their address without their permission.


Registered voters who have moved within Monterey County and who failed to re-register by the deadline for the election may call Monterey County Elections at 831-796-1499 to find out their new polling location.

Voting at the New Polling Location on Election Day (7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.)

A voter who has failed to re-register before the 15 day deadline, may re-register to vote and vote a provisional ballot at the new polling location on Election Day upon showing two proofs of current residency to the election officials. The following are considered ‘proof’ according to state regulation:

    1. A current, valid California driver's license or identification card, which includes the voter's name and current residence address (do not use this method if the old address still shows on the front of the license),

    2. Any TWO documents from the categories listed below, both of which shall contain the voter's name and current residence address (CCR 20107):
      • Military identification
      • College or university fee card or student identification
      • Lease agreement
      • Mortgage statement
      • Property tax statement
      • Income tax return
      • Utility Bill
      • Credit Card bill
      • Bank statement
      • Preprinted check or bank deposit slip
      • Vehicle registration
      • Mail addressed to the voter at his or her current residence address*
      • Sworn statement from a voter in the precinct at polling place*.

*Only one of each is permitted (i.e, not two pieces of mail and not two sworn statements).

If the voter's current residence has no street address, or if the voter is unable to receive mail at their street address, the voter must show TWO of the following documents:

• Deed or lease containing the legal description of the current residence
Property tax statement containing the assessor's parcel number
Sworn statement from a voter in the precinct at the polling place

Voting at the Monterey County Election Department

NEW: Effective in 1998, voters who failed to re-register by the deadline may re-register to vote and vote a provisional ballot for the new residence address at Monterey County Elections, 1441 Schilling Place - North Building, Salinas CA 93901 or at an Early Voting location. No documents proving current residence will be required.

The voter may opt to receive a ballot for the old residence address for this election only but must re-register at the new residence address for future elections.

Voting at the Old Polling Location on Election Day (7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.)

The voter may return to the polling location for the old residence address for this election only, vote a regular ballot and re-register at the new address for future elections.

Note: These special procedures for 'change of address' are not applicable to persons who moved from another county or state and failed to register before the 15-day deadline.


Back to top

Overseas Voters

Voter registration for overseas voters

In order to register as an Overseas Voter, eligible voters must complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), which are available at military bases, consular offices, American embassies, and online through the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) at www.FVAP.gov. First time registrants must return the completed and signed form to the Monterey County Elections office, via mail only, on or before the E-15 day registration deadline. Voters previously registered as Overseas may also return their application via fax or email and can use the form as an application for a vote by mail ballot as long as it is received on or before the E-7 day vote by mail request deadline. Please note that while new provisions in the California Election Code permit for electronic delivery of a ballot from Elections to the voter, the voted ballot from the voter can only be returned to Elections via fax or mail. FVAP can provide additional assistance to those voters who do not have access to a fax. Please call 1-800-438-VOTE (8683) or visit www.FVAP.gov for more information.


Reasons to reregister

Overseas voters will need to reregister when one of the following changes occurs:

  1. If your residential address changes, either within Monterey County or out of it,
  2. If there is a change to your political party affiliation,
  3. If there is a change to your name, OR
  4. If you return to the U.S. and no longer reside overseas.

Reregistration for options 1 through 3 can be done by completing, signing, and returning a FPCA to the Elections office via mail, fax or email. Forms are available at military bases, consular offices, American embassies, and online at www.FVAP.gov. You can also conveniently complete the form online through the Secretary of State’s site at www.RegisterToVote.ca.gov.

Back to top

Statement of permissible uses of personal information.

California Election Code 2157.2
Information on your voter registration affidavit will be used by elections officials to send you official information on the voting process, such as the location of your polling place and the issues and candidates that will appear on the ballot.  Commercial use of voter registration is prohibited by law and is a misdemeanor.  Voter information may be provided to a candidate for office, a ballot measure committee, or other person for election, scholarly, journalistic, political, or governmental purposes, as determined by the Secretary of State.  Driver's license and social security numbers, or your signature as shown on your voter registration card, cannot be released for these purposes.  If you have any questions about the use of voter information or wish to report suspected misuse of such information, please call the Secretary of State's Voter protection and assistance Hotline (800) 345-8683 or (916) 657-2166 ).


Certain voters facing life-threatening situations may qualify for confidential voter status.  For more information, please contact the Secretary of State's Safe At Home program or visit the Secretary of State's Web site at www.ss.ca.gov."

(Added by Stats. 2005, c. 726, Sec. 4.).

Back to top



© 2019 Monterey County Elections and others. All Rights Reserved.


Election Results Election Officials Needed! Early Voting Have you moved? Can I Do More Than Just Wave The Flag? Home Latest Election Results