ELECTION OFFICER GENERAL INFORMATION
Voting in Monterey County is administered by sworn Election Officers, Inspectors and Clerks, appointed by the Monterey County Registrar of Voters.
Election Officers are responsible for conducting voting activities in strict accordance with the elections codes of the State of California. The mission of an Election Officer is to preserve the democratic process. Election Officers value teamwork and customer service; they have a strong commitment to protect voter rights and to maintain the integrity of the vote.
- Be at least 18 years of age and a registered voter in the State of California, or
- Be a high school student at least 16 years of age and in good academic standing
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident
- Provide the Elections Office with a copy of your Social Security Card
- Read and write English
- Work on Election Day from 6:00 a.m. until all duties are complete, approximately 9:30 p.m.
- Attend a 2.5 hour mandatory training class, per election
- Have transportation to the Polling Place
- Be dedicated, cooperative and professional
DUTIES of the Inspectors and Clerks:
- Prepare, open and close the polling place location
- Find voter information in the Roster of Voters
- Issue and accept official ballots
- Assist voters in any phase of the voting process
- Perform all duties assigned by the Registrar of Voters or Precinct Inspector
THE INSPECTOR, in addition must:
- Be in charge of the Polling Place and Precinct Board on Election Day
- Assign duties to Clerks
- Receive and check election supplies
- Call his/her Precinct Board and confirm they will work on Election Day
- Visit his/her Polling Place prior to Election Day and confirm availability
Standard Election Officer Stipend*:
- Inspector $185
- Clerks $135
If you are interested in becoming an election officer, complete the application form and mail it to the address below, or call (831) 796-1499 for more information.
*Standard stipend may not apply to all programs.
COUNTY ELECTION DEPARTMENT
PO BOX 4400
SALINAS CA 93912